Saturday, January 30, 2010

Born to Run

WSJ Travel, which stands for Wall Street Journal, offers unique experiences. I prefer the kind you can't schedule. One summer, Bruce Springsteen was playing in Paris when I was there, but his concerts were sold out. If I couldn't hear Bruce, I was determined to check out a trendy club at the time called Les Bains Douches. Too bad the doorman claimed it was closed for a private party. "No" is not acceptable answer when this may be your only opportunity. With some American cajoling, he finally let us sneak inside. "Have fun with your compatriots," he added as he opened the door. The place was crowded. (If you watch Frantic, you can see Harrison Ford run through it.) My European friends watched me zigzag to the bar, where a dark haired guy in a black leather jacket was holding court. His arms were draped across the counter as he smiled and surveyed the scene. Then he moved a bit, so I could order drinks. "Who was that scruffy guy at the bar?" asked my snobby friend. Only she could reduce him to a vagrant. "That scruffy guy at the bar was Bruce Springsteen!" Okay, he didn't sing, but I'll never forget it.

Want your own unique experience? WSJ Travel is giving away a trip to Paris that includes 5 nights at the Saint Honore Hotel, a 1/2 day sightseeing tour through the city in a vintage French Citroen 2CV convertible, breakfast daily, and 2 dinners. Make it happen and enter.

VoilĂ  - the link to the WSJ Travel Sweepstakes:

http://www.wsjtravel.com/sc/sweepstakes.php

No comments:

Post a Comment