Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Instrumental In Paris

During my Wonder Years, I played the flute. Long before American Pie and crazy band camp references, it was actually prestigious to win a spot in my high school's competitive Symphonic Band. Since I staked my claim first, my sister was relegated to the clarinet, an instrument I always associate with Woody Allen, who chose to play his at Michael's Pub (now closed) instead of turning up at the Academy Awards. Neither my sister or I still play, which probably explains why I had no idea Denis Buffet-Auger was known for developing the 13-key clarinet in Paris. When his son, Jean-Louis Buffet took over the business in 1830, he soon created the Buffet Crampon brand, which entered the American market in 1918. Today, it is a leader in the world of professional clarinets. In honor of Buffet Crampon, the Woodwind & Brasswind are running a Fly Me to Paris! contest, so you can see the city the famous clarinet maker called home. The prize includes round trip airfare for two and 3 nights in a hotel. Of course, that's music to my ears. Tune in and enter.

VoilĂ 
- the link to the Woodwind & Brasswind Fly Me To Paris! contest:

http://www.wwbw.com/Giveaway---Fly-me-to-Paris--g25575t0.wwbw

No comments:

Post a Comment